7 In 3rd grade/ Georgia O'Keeffe/ Landscape

Georgia and The Great Southwest Part One- Mt. Pedernal

Pedernal
“It’s my private mountain. It belongs to me.
God told me if I painted it enough, I could have it.”

Georgia O’Keeffe
Pedernal -1942
The mountains of New Mexico were among O’Keeffe’s favorite subjects to paint. The flat-topped Cerro Pedernal, a unique mesa near the town of Abiquiu, fascinated her.
 She referred to it as her mountain and joked,
 “God told me if I painted that mountain enough,
 he’d give it to me.”
Today, many people still call the Pedernal
 “O’Keeffe’s Mountain.”

Pedernal1

One of my 3rd grade classes created these awesome desert landscapes inspired by Mt. Pedernal.
We also created these beautiful landscapes of
Lake George found here.
Day 1
Tints and shades for the blue mountain and sky.
IMG_3819
Day 2
Painting desert foreground, red hills and trees.
First we look at color inspiration
IMG_3929

Next students painted the sand, ground and red hills.

IMG_3916

Finally they added tints and shades of greens for their trees.

IMG_3845

IMG_3915
IMG_3942
IMG_3943
IMG_3945

IMG_3941
The students are just loving all of Georgia’s paintings and creating their own versions inspired by her beautiful works.
Have fun creating!
Laura

Kristin Bolster
    September 26, 2013 at 1:49 am

Do you have all these tints and shades in pre-mixed bottles? I have just a simple set of tempera so I have to mix for them or have them mix but it never looks as rich as those colors you have!! I think this makes all the difference….

Mrs. Art Teacher
    September 26, 2013 at 5:06 am

I was going to ask the same thing….is that tempera or craft acrylics?

September 26, 2013 at 11:13 am

Hey guys I only use tempera paint. Premium Tempera Paint. I never use washable because it is never as bright and opaque. Also, the big reason tempera looks cloudy too is because students rinse brushes and the brushes water down the paint. We never rinse. We always start with the light colors wipe any excess onto the placemat and move to a darker color.

September 26, 2013 at 11:14 am

I premix colors and store them in empty paint bottles. Also the students are always free to mix on their papers. You tend to get beautiful and various colors on their projects.

Mary
    September 26, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Very nice! That is a great tip to leave rinsing out of the the project. Kids will spend so much time dipping their brush in water, they often end up with a muddy picture. The colors in these are wonderful!

Hope Hunter Knight