6 In Uncategorized

Get your kicks on Route 66

I hope all of you are enjoying a restful summer break. We sure are at our house. A couple of days after school got out we packed up our VW minivan and headed out west.
We are a national park’s family. We love the national parks and all they have to offer: beautiful scenery, fun lodges, stamps for passport books and our favorite thing the Junior Ranger Program!

Ok, that is another post but we decided to take Route 66 from Chicago, IL down to Williams, AZ.
I know, I know, it goes all the way to Santa Monica, CA but hey my little guy wanted to see the Grand Canyon so we turned off there!
(Previously, I have been on that other portion of Route 66 some years ago.)
 St Louis, Missouri

My husband and I decided to travel the original mother road, to see the backroads and small towns of America. No disappointment there. We had a map and a minivan and that is all we needed.

World’s Largest Rocking Chair

Oklahoma
The kids just loved to see the quirky roadside attractions and
hearing the birds out by the fields where cars used to travel.

The Blue Whale Swimming Hole

We took a much slower pace of life. We enjoyed each other’s company, drinking root beer floats, and wondering what is around the bend at the next town.

Hope you slow down, unwind, and enjoy the beauty of summer.

Laura

Patty Palmer
    July 2, 2013 at 2:08 am

I love this. Great photos, great message. I'm looking forward to my one month internet hiatus!

Anonymous
    July 2, 2013 at 2:18 am

This is something we hope to do in our sports car, now that the kids are gone! We're close to the Blue Whale, and would love to see and experience America this way again! Thanks for the pics!

July 2, 2013 at 2:31 am

Have fun on vacation!

July 2, 2013 at 2:34 am

Love, Love, Love the Blue Whale! There are some great attractions in your neck of the woods! if you can stay in Tucumcari, NM tons of neon on a little strip of Route 66 heaven!

Kristen
    July 2, 2013 at 4:51 am

I went to college in Flagstaff and my daughter (7 years old) and I are heading there next week! I may go up to 66 on the way to Flag and show her all the quirky stuff out there. Makes me want to take a really long road trip, not just the 7 hours from CA to Flagstaff!

Cassie Stephens
    July 6, 2013 at 12:17 am

How fun! That looks like an awesome retro-y vacation, I love it! Thanks for sharing the photos!