8 In 1st grade/ 2nd grade/ 3rd grade/ Fall/ Nature

Whoo, Whooo, loves Owls?

I am totally smitten with Owls lately. I would create owls all day long if I could!
2-img_0686-003
3rd graders created these large owls inspired by Ginger over at Paintbrush Rocket.
I love these and wanted to put my own spin on her fun project.
 Class One:
First, students used a tracer to create the owl. I know some people don’t like using the tracers but this class needed the shape to get them started.

1-2012-10-10

Next we discussed how to create patterned lines using our scissors. Zig-Zag, Wavy, Straight etc., and then students glued them into the owl’s stomach area.

11-img_0683

Class 2:
Students created large eyes and placed them on the
head of the Owl. Next came the beak and claws.
 8-dsc_0079-002
3-dsc_0081-001

We discussed briefly, the texture found on Owls- feathers.
Using oil pastels, students drew short marks
resembling the feathers.
5-dsc_0072-001
Lastly, students used paint and the dry brush technique.
I stressed to keep their paint on the tip of the brush to
 create the feather look.
Some students really loved mixing colors on their owl’s wings.
6-dsc_0075-001

Love seeing these big guys hanging around!

10-dsc_0108-002

Keep on Creating!

Laura 🙂

diditeach
    October 11, 2012 at 12:28 am

I love owls, we painted some earlier in Sept. These are gorgeous, will definitely file away for next time. I would create owls each art class but better move on:)
    Thanks for sharing a lovely lesson, brought a smile to my face !

Elizabeth - Dream Painters
    October 11, 2012 at 12:47 am

Aren't they gorgeous? I think owls just have that universal appeal, maybe it's the eyes 🙂 They make a great group display! When the focus of the lesson is an element or technique other than drawing I also often use a template (perhaps the crescent head shape) to get the kids started and on the right track size-wise. I only get one lesson to complete a whole project (no way to store or carry work over to another lesson), so if I drew from scratch every lesson that's all we'd ever do!

Mrs. C
    October 11, 2012 at 2:12 am

Owls are so popular lately! These are sooo cute!!! 🙂

Anna Pietrolungo, Essendon North Primary School
    October 11, 2012 at 9:58 am

I absolutely love the owls! So much fun.

Prairie Mother
    October 11, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Those are awesome!! I just love the way you used the decorative scissors. Funny, I just finished an owl the other day too…and I'm not even that in to owls!

Artteacher11
    October 11, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Very nice lesson! I taught my 3rd graders how to make ceramic owls last year, and as inspiration, we borrowed actual specimens of a Horned Owl and a Spotted Owl from our local natural history museum. There is a wealth of information that they are willing to loan to schools!

Paintbrush Rocket
    October 19, 2012 at 10:04 am

Awesome!!!

Wendi Bushehry
    December 28, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I am so doing this today with my pre-k, I will prepare but they will cut and glue and paint!