8 In 1st grade/ 2nd grade/ 3rd grade/ Fall/ Nature

Whoo, Whooo, loves Owls?

I am totally smitten with Owls lately. I would create owls all day long if I could!
3rd graders created these large owls inspired by Ginger over at Paintbrush Rocket.
I love these and wanted to put my own spin on her fun project.
 Class One:
First, students used a tracer to create the owl. I know some people don’t like using the tracers but this class needed the shape to get them started.

Next we discussed how to create patterned lines using our scissors. Zig-Zag, Wavy, Straight etc., and then students glued them into the owl’s stomach area.

Class 2:
Students created large eyes and placed them on the
head of the Owl. Next came the beak and claws.

We discussed briefly, the texture found on Owls- feathers.
Using oil pastels, students drew short marks
resembling the feathers.
Lastly, students used paint and the dry brush technique.
I stressed to keep their paint on the tip of the brush to
 create the feather look.
Some students really loved mixing colors on their owl’s wings.

Love seeing these big guys hanging around!

Keep on Creating!

Laura 🙂

October 11, 2012 at 12:28 am

I love owls, we painted some earlier in Sept. These are gorgeous, will definitely file away for next time. I would create owls each art class but better move on:)
    Thanks for sharing a lovely lesson, brought a smile to my face !

Elizabeth - Dream Painters
    October 11, 2012 at 12:47 am

Aren't they gorgeous? I think owls just have that universal appeal, maybe it's the eyes 🙂 They make a great group display! When the focus of the lesson is an element or technique other than drawing I also often use a template (perhaps the crescent head shape) to get the kids started and on the right track size-wise. I only get one lesson to complete a whole project (no way to store or carry work over to another lesson), so if I drew from scratch every lesson that's all we'd ever do!

Mrs. C
    October 11, 2012 at 2:12 am

Owls are so popular lately! These are sooo cute!!! 🙂

Anna Pietrolungo, Essendon North Primary School
    October 11, 2012 at 9:58 am

I absolutely love the owls! So much fun.

Prairie Mother
    October 11, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Those are awesome!! I just love the way you used the decorative scissors. Funny, I just finished an owl the other day too…and I'm not even that in to owls!

October 11, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Very nice lesson! I taught my 3rd graders how to make ceramic owls last year, and as inspiration, we borrowed actual specimens of a Horned Owl and a Spotted Owl from our local natural history museum. There is a wealth of information that they are willing to loan to schools!

Paintbrush Rocket
    October 19, 2012 at 10:04 am

Wendi Bushehry
    December 28, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I am so doing this today with my pre-k, I will prepare but they will cut and glue and paint!