15 In Uncategorized

Little Garden Gnomes

The Gnome
by Margaret Morgan

Deep down he goes, the little gnome,
Deep down into his earthy home.
Deep Down among the roots he lives;
Such help to all the plants he gives.

He helps the seed to split its skin;
He helps the roots to settle in;
He helps the shoots to stand upright
And grow to reach the warm sunlight.

Sometimes he comes above the ground;
Sometimes his footprints can be found;
Sometimes, before the moon is up,
He drinks the dew from bluebell cups.

Look at all these adorable gnomes that are ready to be put into a garden gnome landscape!
3rd graders created these little guys, 2nd and 3rd graders also created clouds, trees, hedgehogs, mushrooms and painted the backgrounds of the mural.

Spotted mushrooms to complete the look

Holding a lantern
 hedgehogs and trees with hand-shaped trunks..
 Check at these ears! How fun!

Mural panels ready to be hung in the hallways, complete with clouds and painted flowers.

Materials:
painted paper
 9 x 12 paper
scissors, glue, oil pastels, tempera paint
and lots of imagination!

Heather
    February 15, 2012 at 3:49 pm

these are fun!

Patty Palmer
    February 15, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I love how you do your murals. I tried to do one last month and it ended up looking ridiculous! This one is so cute!

February 15, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Thanks! My white board is where the kids paint. Lately, its has been covered with paint! I don't have a smart board because that is where we paint our murals! lol It is the perfect height for kids and is really long. 🙂

J. Cooper
    February 15, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I love your murals. I haven't done one in ages. I really should pull out my giant roll of butcher paper and let the kids have at it. That poem you posted – is it from a book or was it written by one of the teachers/staff?

Miss
    February 15, 2012 at 8:35 pm

This is absolutely adorable! It looks so professional- I can see it as illustrations in a charming children's book! I've never tried a big group mural project like this with a class before. Thanks for sharing!

Mrs. C
    February 16, 2012 at 12:12 am

your murals are always beautiful! Love garden gnomes!

Phyl
    February 16, 2012 at 2:15 am

Ah, such fun!! I adore the stylized trees. I'm planning on making some papier-mache garden gnomes with my 3rd graders (shh… don't tell; they don't know it yet!) so I may borrow that poem! Where did it come from?

Pinning!!

Confessions of a Montessori Mom Lisa Nolan
    February 17, 2012 at 5:04 am

Lovely and adorable, makes me want to be a kid again! Just love your blog (I think I pin you the most!)

Natalie
    February 17, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I love how you chose purple for the background! This is fantasticly adorable and lovely! Your murals are fabulous!!! Those gnomes are so freaking adorable!

Kristina
    February 28, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Aha! I never thought of attaching paper to my 16' long white board for the kids to create murals! I've only actually done 1 mural (4th grade NC landscape with animals… it was awesome) and we had to piece it together like a big puzzle! This is a much better idea!!!

Paper Pear
    March 6, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Love these! When you make murals how do you attach kids work so that you can give them back their work? In the past I have used blue tacky to make murals or tape and it always seems like some end up ripped! I also have glued down and we cut them out. Just curious what you do. Thanks!

March 6, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Thanks Jen, all the projects are done before then glued down. I have the students paint the mural first, then we glue down. Students hold the project in place on the mural for about a minute then the mural is good to hang. I cut them apart when it is time to pass back work.

March 14, 2012 at 11:10 am

Thanks for the compliments!

Amy
    April 19, 2012 at 3:09 pm

This inspired me to do a gnome lesson with my 4th grade students! check it out:

I linked back to this lesson. Thanks for posting all of your projects! I love your blog!

Cassie Stephens
    December 28, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Love this, it's incredible!!