8 In 5th grade/ Art of India/ Mixed Media

Marigolds for sale

marigolds_5042440780_o

In India, marigolds are always available. They are used for weddings, decorating homes, cars and even delivery trucks. They are placed in woven baskets and sold by vendors. Check out our version of our marigolds for sale.

marigolds_5104604975_o

marigolds_5041816339_o

Students created a basket by weaving thin strips of paper, then cut and added a fringed piece of burlap. Students added painted paper flowers, cut around the edges to give the flowers a 3-dimensional look. Tracers were available but many students chose not to use them to create their flowers. Lastly students used paint and oil pastels to add leaves and vines around their basket.

Marcia
    October 1, 2010 at 11:56 pm

those are beautiful, great idea!

Lori
    October 4, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Cute flowers! Love your ideas.

teeny.tiny.green.apple
    October 5, 2010 at 1:39 am

I love this. Approx. how many classes/how much time did this take?

October 5, 2010 at 10:14 am

This project took 1-40 minute for the weaving, burlap, 1-for the flowers and one wrap up for the leaves and painting the vines. Thanks!

Anonymous
    October 7, 2010 at 4:01 am

Laura,
    Thanks for all your wonderful art ideas. I love your blog. I have noticed that you post a lot of your students art work in murals (i.e the flamingos, birds in a tree, castles etc..) for art shows and display at school. My question is, do you just rip off the castle or flamingo when the display comes down? Doesn't it ruin the students art work? How does that work? I really want to try some of these murals but my students always want their work back.

Thanks again for the time and effort you put into this blog and thanks for sharing your awesome ideas! I love the marigold baskets!!
    Ally

October 7, 2010 at 10:31 am

Ally,
    When I glue them down I always leave space for trimming. On the Flamingos I cut straight down and the students got their flamingo with a piece of the black mural along with it. (Like it is already matted to take home) I matt all my students work. They always get their artwork back I never keep it. Thanks for the comments! πŸ™‚

Erin Laughpaintcreate
    October 8, 2010 at 10:29 pm

I love this! All your little artists make the most bright and wonderful things! Nice work!

Erin at laughpaintcreate

sleepyhead designs studio
    October 11, 2010 at 2:52 am

I absolutely LOVE this project!!